Roscommon Twinnings


 

Boys Town USA

Monsignor Edward Joseph Flanagan (July 13, 1886 in Ballymoe, County Roscommon, Ireland; He was the founder of what is arguably the most famous orphanage—Boys Town. The campus is not just an orphanage, but now a centrE for troubled youth.

more info 



 

Castlepoint Essex

Initial contact was made between the Councils in 1996 when Boyle native Councillor Bill M. Scott was a member of Castlepoint Borough Council. A Party of Councillors from Castlepoint led by the Mayor Councillor Tony Wright visited Boyle in September 2007 and it was agreed to examine a formal twinning arrangement. 

more info 


 

Chartrettes France

Roscommon Chartrettes Twinning was established in 1998 by the former  Chairman of Roscommon County Council,Councillor Tom Foxe. It came about through the contact of Maurice Buckley, of System Label GmBH, formerly of Racecourse Road, Roscommon, who lived for a short time in Chartrettes with his wife Mary while working there.

more info 


 

Downey, South California USA

This association Governor Downey native son of Taughmaconnell, Co. Roscommon who was 7th Governor of California.

more info 



 

Guilers France

The Ballinlough, Ballyhaunis Gorthaganny (Ireland) and Guilers (Brittany) Twinning Association was founded in April 1984 and is one of the longest established Twinning associations in the country. 

more info 


 

Nueil-Sur-Layon

In November 2009 the Municipal Council of Nueil sur Layon agreed that the establishment of a twinning project with Roscommon County Council should be examined. A letter was received from the Mayor M. Jean-Marie Defois on 22nd January 2010 proposing a twinning on the basis of a cultural link and to perpetuate the works and memory of Roderic O’Conor.

more info 


 

Tucson Arizona

Don Hugo O'Connor, an Irishman and member of the clan Clonolis in Castlerea, left Roscommon in 1750 and settled in Tubac to what is now modern-day Tucson, establishing the city's connection to Roscommon, Ireland.

more info 



Supported By

This project received grant aid from Roscommon LEADER Partnership Rural Development Programme which is financed by the Irish Government under the Rural Development Programme Ireland 2007-2013 and by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development:Europe investing in Rural Areas.