Tarmonbarry


Tarmonbarry is a restful little village along the River Shannon. Take a tree-lined river walk and watch the cruisers negotiate their way through the lock. There is an hotel and several very good restaurants in the village, including an award-winning gastro pub, which is also an art gallery. The road to Lanesboro winds south around the foot of Slieve Bán, which rises to 800 feet and has many archeological and historic features.

East of Rathcroghan, the Royal Citadel of Connacht, is the medieval village of Tulsk, the “Hillock of the Stream”. Tulsk had one of the strongest castles in the province built by O’Conor Roe in 1406 and a Dominican Priory built in 1449. The first death by gunshot in Ireland occurred in Tulsk, and Tulsk was also pivotal during the Elizabethan Nine-Years War of Conquest. Later it was a ‘rotten borough’ that sent an M.P. to the English parliament. The Rathcroghan Visitor Centre is located in the village and provides tours of the ancient Royal Site of Cruachan and of Medieval Tulsk. On the raised ground south of Tulsk is Carnfree, where the Kings of Connacht, including many O’Conors, were crowned.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Supported By

This project received grant aid from Roscommon LEADER Partnership Rural Development Programme which is financed by the Irish Government under the Rural Development Programme Ireland 2007-2013 and by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development:Europe investing in Rural Areas.